Saturday, January 24, 2009

Good Friday

If I were to sum it up simply, I would say 'It's been a crummy week.' Many frustrations. Many problems. It happens in this profession. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time dealing with 'issues', than actually teaching. Sometimes the needs of a few outweigh the needs of most. Sometimes I have no answer. Sometimes I need just a quiet few moments alone to think, ponder, assess....but those moments are hard to come by. I found such a moment at 5:00 am Friday morning in my dark living room. Up most of the night by a new situation. Trying to find a solution. Trying to find a plan. Trying to figure out what would 'work'. In the darkness of the early cloudy morning, I had a talk with myself as to what wasn't working regarding this new situation, and what I needed to try to have success visit my room for the day. As it turned out, I implemented a new strategy when school began, and success for this new situation had a prominent place in my room all day long.

What had been a tough time began to turn in the late hours of the week. And it got even better.

One of my student's father is in Afghanistan. He was deployed just before Thanksgiving for his second tour. He's a doctor here. Over there he saves the wounded. This time away has been difficult for his wife, their young daughter and his son, whom I am lucky to have. Yesterday was son's birthday. Dad had emailed me the day before and took me up on my offer before he left of "If you ever need to talk with N, you call us here at school and I'll put him on." So, during our 'Guessing Jar' lesson, the phone rang. I answered and Dad was on the other end, from Afghanistan. "N.....the phone's for you, buddy". N walked over with a somewhat confused look on his face as he took the receiver from my hand. 'Hello???' he said. 'Hi Dad!' ..... the rest of us went on with our activity...trying to give N and his dad from the other side of our planet some time to talk privately. However, I did hear a small 'I love you, too.' as they wrapped up their birthday talk.

Yes, the crummy week was turning around.

Friday afternoons hold a special place - Friday Freetime! It's a reward time for 'good character' when my students get to play with all sort of games, manipulatives, books and a special cupboard full of activities just for Friday Freetime. It's busy, creative, fun - sort of like a 'cherry on top' to the week. I was at my desk when one of my students came up to me with this...

Me - "Y.... did you draw this?"

Y - "Mrs. D.... Mrs. D.... I heart you."


.... he 'hearts' me.



Did I tell you that I had a wonderful week??

10 comments:

christyzee said...

Thank you. Because of caring people like you our children's future is bright.
Blessings...

Joni said...

Ahhhh...I love this. There's always a diamond in the rough somewhere waiting to be found.

kimberly said...

wonderful, vb.....i can imagine it feels the same as when my grandbabies tell me that....without any prompting or me saying it first....just out of the blue...out of their heart!
so glad your week was special.
hugs,
kimberly

Susie of Arabia said...

Sounds like it was a pretty good week after all. Those little gestures of the children like I-Heart-U can easily melt away any worries or torment over problems we may face. And how special for N's Dad to call during school. How very special he must have felt on his birthday. BTW, it was also my son's birthday yesterday too - he was 16. Very nice post - I enjoyed it. It lifted me up.

Anonymous said...

I heart you ,too, Mrs. D
Ruthie

Jane said...

Oh that was so sweet! What a perfect birthday gift. I know of another sweet little one that Hearts you too! Thanks for being such a wonderful person, and the best teacher for my daughter. I heart you!

Cheela said...

I am so glad you didn't go home earlier in the week!!!!!!!!!! This is what it is all about!!!

Martha said...

Carol, I am in awe of the person and teacher that you are! You inspire me!

Chickenbells said...

What a beautiful way to end the week...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Carol, tears are in my eyes. What a wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing it with us all!!