Thursday, July 20, 2006

Buffet

So much has happened during the past week. I came back from the mountains, relaxed, comforted and at peace, only to find myself feeling like I ran into a brick wall at 90 miles an hour the very next morning. It took me by surprise...and only validated what my spirit knows to be true and authentic - I am a mountain woman at heart and that is where I belong. I play the game of a 'desert rat' well, but my heart and soul are not happy baking in 112 degree heat. Down here I feel lethargic, trapped in the 'suburban' lifestyle and all the things that assault the senses.... stores, news, crime, heat, busy schedules, etc. Up in the mountains, life is soothing, calm, sybiotic with nature and attuned to God. Down here I am trapped. Up there I am creative. But I digress....

So much has happened during the past week...not even to mention the past 8 hours. The culminating perspective is that I am, once again, blessed. Instead of focusing on one topic of heart, I'm going to sprinkle a buffet of views.... perhaps one will speak to you.

* to all my girlfriends... please take breast health seriously. This means that if you have any suspicions about your breasts, call your doctor, even if you are shaking and crying when you do it, DO IT. Make sure you get your mammogram. And if you have to have an ultrasound or further testing done, do it for the empowerment that it gives you of knowledge, which is always power. If you need support, call on your ya-ya girlfriends to go with you, or to listen to you, or to hug you. But do what you need to do to take care of yourself. Remember, getting a mammogram doesn't give you cancer. It gives you knowledge. And knowledge is empowerment. Norma and Ruthie.... thank you... from the bottom of my heart ...and boob....

* My new fantasy is to be kidnapped by Jack Sparrow and held against my will (and Johnny Depp) on the Black Pearl.

* Nando's makes the best damn marguerita this side of the Loop 101.

* My realtor, Karyn, brings the 'Italian' out in me... I have no 'Italian' in me (that I know of), but she was gracious enough to have me over for dinner (after I invited myself!!) and this is my new favorite salad - you must try this... even the magster loves this...
- 1 container cherry or grape tomatoes - cut in half
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts - roughly cut
- 1/4 red onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smushed and chopped
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives from Trader Joe's - leave whole
- 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves - FRESH
- 1/2 container of the small mozzarella cheese balls from Trader Joe's...for once in your life, you want small balls....
- olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper

In bowl, combine tomatoes, olives, artichokes, onion, garlic, basil and cheese balls. Drizzle olive oil over mixture and season with salt and pepper. You can also throw in a spoonful of the artichoke marinade and olive juice, too. Mix gently and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to marry flavors. Let sit out for about 10 minutes before serving to take the chill off and intensify the flavors. This is just perfect with fish or eggplant parmigiana. You'll have to talk to Karyn about the eggplant! Enjoy!!

* I don't usually find pets...they usually find me. I went to Starbuck's this morning for coffee and lost my heart to Ross. The wheels are in motion to make him a part of our family.

* I'm addicted to the show 'Grey's Anatomy'. LOVE that show!

* Bitterness erodes the vessel that contains it.

* When you think that things are bad, or you're feeling down about something, do what I do...tune in to Jerry Springer. In no time you'll see that your problems aren't as bad after all! Remember... you could be married to a transexual man with three teeth who secretly dresses in ladies lingerie and is sleeping with your best friend in your trailer while you're flipping burgers at McDonald's during the day and stripping at night to support your 5 kids and the one on the way!
Sort of makes that small bank account seem not-so-bad after all!

* Laugh... even at the most serious of situations... it's ok to laugh.

Blessings to you....

No comments: