Sunday, December 17, 2006

Santa and Me


I've always believed in Santa....because I've seen him!
One of my treasures from my mom are some old photos...don't we all have a few of those? This one has always been one of my favorites... mostly because I remember that day so vividly.
I had just turned 4 a few days before. Mom, my baby brother and I got all gussied up and took the bus downtown to THE department store in Columbus, Lazarus, to see Santa Claus! I was dressed in my velvet black skirt, red leotards, black patent leather maryjane's and a crisp, white blouse with puffy sleeves. I was all ready to meet the big guy who held the toys of my dreams!
We had to stand in line with a lot of other boys and girls...all eyeing Santa with a mixture of excitement and a bit of fear - this guy was the real deal and to think that he had come down all the way from the North Pole just to see us today was almost more than a little child's heart could handle!
We would all watched as the child in front of us climbed up on Santa's lap and stared in awe and wonder at the face of Father Christmas. He chuckled his deep 'Ho! Ho! Ho!' and would ask what the little one's name was. Timidly, the name was whispered as eyes were bugged out! Santa would ask if he or she had been a good girl or boy and then ask what they wanted for Christmas. Most were able to mumble out a few suggestions; others would be overcome with the notion that they were being swallowed up by a huge red and white monster and let out such a cry of 'Save me, Mom!!!' that those of us in line were not sure whether to run for our lives before we, too, were gobbled up or simply resolve our nerve that we were not going to let this chance to meet Santa get away from us! I chose the latter....
My turn...
Santa lifted me up onto his lap ... and there he was.... I was sitting with Santa Claus!!
I remember being struck by the amount of white beard he had...and hair... it was all over the place! I had never seen so much hair in my life!! He asked if I had been a good girl... "yes!" was my reply! Then came the question that I was so excited to answer - "What do you want for Christmas?" I was only too happy to tell him that I wanted a baby doll! And by the sparkle in his eyes, I knew that Santa Claus was writing this item down by my name in his mind and that he wouldn't let me down! The flash bulb went off and Santa gently set me down. One of his 'elves' handed Santa a candy cane, which he passed to me, along with a "Merry Christmas!".
I had just met Santa Claus!
That Christmas eve, I sat in front of my window and looked out into the clear, sliver-blue midnight sky. It's common knowledge that Santa doesn't come until you're fast asleep, but I knew Santa wouldn't mind if I waited for him so that I could smile at him one more time! I sat and stared out into the night...
and sat...
and sat...
and stared...
and waited...
looking for a red glow in the inky night... a sign of Rudolph's nose leading the sleigh my way....
waiting to hear those 36 hooves up on my rooftop... the sound of presents being tucked under our Christmas tree downstairs....
I never did see Santa Clause that night... I fell asleep by my window....
but that morning, I found the present that Santa Claus had brought just for me! My baby doll!
He brought me a baby doll! He remembered!! What pure JOY!
Now, 46 years later, much has changed in this little girl's world. But one thing that hasn't is my belief in this guy. It's why I get goosebumps and a lump in my throat when I watch 'The Polar Express' and the reindeer are jumping and pulling at the anticipation of taking off on their night course to bring joy to boys and girls all over the world! It's why I get misty-eyed at 'Rudolph' when the other reindeer tease him because of his nose and won't let him play in any reindeer games. It's why the picture above is so precious to me. Because...
I believe.
"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."

No comments: