Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name...

I received a rose last Friday....around noontime. It was very unexpected, but then, sometimes those are the best kind of flowers in life....

meet Rosie

I've had a very difficult time getting over losing my sweet Ross. I've gone back and forth as to whether or not I should get another dog - maybe I will, no, I won't.....maybe I should, no, I can't.....I miss not having a dog around....no, I miss not having Ross around..... and so on......

Our wonderful school secretary is such an amazing spirit and she volunteers at a local animal shelter. She's often brought a dog with her to school for the day from the shelter and there are several teachers who are now the proud owners of such lucky pooches! Who can resists those eyes?? That tail??? She's been so kind, gentle and gracious with me as I ask her about the dogs at the shelter every so often. We'll talk about those whose pictures I've seen when I've visited their website.... I even went up to visit one recently, but my heart held me back from saying 'yes'.

Well, such same routine happened last Friday morning...and sweet B casually mentioned that there was one sweet pooch whom I should check out on the website. I truly forgot her mentioning anything until around 11:00 am. My student teacher was with my class, so I checked out the website and saw this whiskery face with a big, black nose! I immediately dialed secretary B....and within 5 minutes, we were one our way up the street for a quick 'lunch'....at the animal sanctuary. I met this sweet face, and although there was angst, turmoil and anxiety - um...all on my part, she was totally fine with the event..... I said 'yes, I'll take her!' Rosie came back with me for the afternoon in my classroom and my kiddos are absolutely smitten with her. We had a good chat about pets, how to get to know a new dog, and how to let Rosie sniff their hand to become familiar with them. Later, during Friday Free Time, my desk became decorated with notes of love ....
Rosie is joining a family of 5 cats. They seem somewhat put-out about her presence. Skittles, however, was seen rubbing against Rosie's legs this afternoon. She also pulled rank when Rosie got a little too friendly - as only a cat can do. Rosie has a propensity to chase, and she seems to think that our cats are wind-up toys for her to do just that! Olivia hopped upon the wall and Rosie was not sure what to make of it - other than to just wistfully stare.....

I think she'll be okay with the cats as she gets used to them....they are more than capable of defending themselves and letting her know how we roll in this house! We've spent the weekend visiting my vet for a thorough check-up and stopping by the pet store for a new pink leash and collar and some chew toys. She sleeps on the bed like a log and has no problem hogging her side. She's using the pet door and learning how to go up and down stairs....they seem to intimidate her a bit. We've had some real bonding time and I think she's feeling comfortable with her new home.

This evening I went to dinner with some friends and left Rosie alone for a couple of hours for the first time. I wondered how she would do .... and I made sure to put things away, have her chew toys out, water and food in the dish, etc. She got in the car with me, so I had to back out of the garage, close the garage door, turn off the engine, go around and let her out of the car and in the front door - just so I could leave the house by myself. I think she took the separation rather well, don't you??

I guess we have some work to do..... Rosie.....I have to go to work tomorrow morning....

4 comments:

Joni said...

Nice to meet you Rosie...

Catching up on your blog leads me to think that Rosie was a great idea - a tail-wagging, happy face to come home to...one that doesn't mind the leaks and noise. Maybe there's a creative way you could attach those window panels to your insurance claim? Lol...after everything else, they'd probably not notice.

barb said...

Thanks for giving Rosie such a great home and thank you for putting the shelter website on your blog!

Sonja said...

Congrats on the new baby girl. She is sooo sooo super cute...I can see why you said YES!

kimberly said...

oh....what a doll baby!!!! how COULD you resist? and i think it is wonderful to welcome a new little rosie into your life....sweet !
hugs dear friend!
kimberly