Saturday, September 01, 2007

She Came!! She Came!!


The minute I got up this morning, I could tell that she had been here!! Yes!!
The 'Fall Fairy' sprinkled her magic on us today!!

My door is framed with a beautiful autumn garland, complete with mini gold lights that glow my doorway as night falls. Fall Fairy hung a grapevine wreath with the prettiest gossamer ribbon on it and she poked a bat to spook my terra cotta pumpkin! He seems rather unphased!

Oh look! Squirrel Nutkin has come back! And he brought his acorn candles with him! He always remembers his way back home each autumn.... such a good little squirrel!
Hmmmmm......
something smells so good in here.....

She didn't..... she DID!

My favorite fall candle - I just love the scent, the label, the name! So appropo, don't you think? That sweet little fairy....

Oh, and here's Jack! She must have gathered him up from the pumpkin patch! He's all decked out and ready for cooler weather.

Now just look at what she sprinkled among my pine cones by my fireplace.... sweet berries and autumn leaves of gold, orange and crimson! Do I have to put it away when winter comes? I love it so! Hmm.. we'll see what the Winter Fairy thinks of it when she visits.

Fall Fairy was VERY busy in my kitchen... such fall festiveness everywhere I look! My baker's rack is full of fall... with such a cute little pumpkin teapot! I may have to make a yummy recipe from that tempting cookbook and a pot of tea to go with it. Would you like to join me?

Well, what do we have here? I think I'll be making some pumpkin-corn bisque for this little treasure - complete with a leafy twig ladle!

What was that you asked? Oh yes...it's a favorite recipe of mine. Actually, I have two really scrumptious 'soups' that I make in the fall. The other is my famous Potato-Corn Chowder.

You would?? Why I'd be happy to share them with you! Let's me get my recipe cards....
Potato-Corn Chowder
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
5 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 - 14 oz. cans chicken broth
1/2 pkg. (about 2 cups) frozen corn
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 t. rosemary
1/2 t. tarragon
1/2 t. season salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. finely shredded cheddar cheese
Cook bacon in dutch oven over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon with spoon. Pour off fat, but leave 1 T. in the bottom. Add onion and celery; cook about 5 minutes or so until tender. Add bacon back in. Bring broth to a boil in a large pot. Add potatoes and cook until tender. With potato masher mash potatoes right in the pan. Add potatoes to dutch oven with onion, celery and bacon. Add corn, milk seasonings and bay leaf. Cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Stir in shredded cheese and stir until blended. If needed, add more chicken broth to bring chowder to desired consistency. You want it to be thick like a chowder; not watery like a soup. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy! This is awesome the second time around, as well!

Oh, Fall Fairy! I love these so! How did you know that my
nutmeg-laced coffee would taste even better in these oh, so cute mugs!
Fall Fairy, I guess you knew that I've been keeping watch for my favorite season of the year to arrive. I guess you knew that the heat and humidity has made my little mid- western heart yearn all the more for cool days, slanted sunlight, and early evenings. I guess you knew that I'm tired of summer foods, and am longing to make a batch of something warm and comforting in my orange Le Crueset pot. I guess you've sensed a little girl excitement to be able to enjoy my favorite time of year for the first
time....in five years. I guess you've heard my quiet thoughts of gardening, cleaning and planting when Fall Break shows up in my lesson plans. Fall Fairy, I guess you just knew that there was a little abode anxiously waiting for your special day this month....and you decided to visit us early.
Fall Fairy...you're the best!!

7 comments:

Chickenbells said...

Oh how exciting! I was sitting here thinking that the fall fairy was early...then I realized that it's September...and my mind started racing and thinking about what fall things I could put out so that the fairy could come and decorate for me too! (does she vacuum and do windows?)

Anonymous said...

Your home looks lovely and it makes me think about decorating for Autumn, too! Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try that. I agree with being done with summer. Too hot too long. Yeah for fall! I always enjoy your posts!

Anonymous said...

Your decorations are so cute! I love all of the pumpkins! Fall is my favorite time of the year, too. I love the leaves, the smells, the chilly nights. Thanks for getting me in the fall mood. I think I'll go see what I might be able to put out!

Simplicity Wins said...

I love it VB! I do hope she visits my house too. Fall is my favorite season. When is your fall break? Perhaps we can enjoy a day or two at the K chalet???

Jolene George said...

Ummmm....could you send her here now please? Oh how I love the fall fairy. Everything looks beautiful!
I have a bad feeling that some of my favorite holiday decorations got tossed in the move by some MAN that shall remain nameless, but you know who he is.

Jill said...

Fall Fairy is my favorite! With her lovelies, she brings fresh air... crispy evenings... and beautiful colors.
Thank you so much for the kind comments. Your good thoughts and prayers helped tremendously!
xoxox
Jill

Mary Jo said...

That Fall Fairy did a wonderful job! (I wish she would drop by my house!!) I especially love those MUGS. Now I will have to dig out my Fall decs today. You have inspired me! :o)