Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Consider Me Mesmerized


I am thoroughly entranced by the moon. I watch its phases. I know the names of each full moon throughout the year. I mark its appearance on my calendar. I follow it at night as it rolls across the sky. This morning, I was in awe at its brilliance in the low-slung northwestern sky as I drove to work. I have always found it beautiful. Mysterious. Calming. A quiet beauty few take notice of.
Tonight marks the rise of the Full Snow Moon. Since the heaviest snow usually falls during this month, native tribes of the north and east most often called February's full Moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to this Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult.
Do me a favor. At some point this week... take pause. Take notice. Look at the horizon. Or step outside before turning in for the evening and putting the day to bed. Look up. Look towards the brillance. Gaze for a moment. Look. Really look at it. What you will be looking at is estimated to be 4.5 billion - that's right.... with a 'b' ... years old. Think about that.
How can one not be mesmerized??
Lunata

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh i did-last night the moon was SO beautiful and yesterday morning we were entranced by the sight just before the sun came up. thanks for sharing (i'm a lurker for awhile!-i think we live in the same area)

Julie said...

Hello my dear friend........

Yes I caught the moon the past couple of nights. Once when I was walking Greenlake, the moon was in the sky hanging above the Cascade Mountains. Oh it has been so gorgeous here, sunny,clear.......2 mountain mornings! Driving to work over the bridge you can see Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainer they are both out and so majestic! Along with the Cascades and the Olympic mountains both covered in snow. Makes me appreciate living in a place that is so beautiful!

Miss you!

Simplicity Wins said...

You have encouraged and enlightened me on this topic. I honestly think of you everytime I look up at the nighttime sky. You are so passionate about it and I am glad to be able to share it with you.