Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The best laid plans of mice and men

Plans.... we all make them... in my profession I have to have complete, thought-out, directed and purposful ones every week...for every day. I live by my plans. I love to make them and I love to follow them. I take pride in my plans...they serve me (and my kiddos) well. However, they aren't always followed. Sometimes it's because of me...a 'teachable moment', a feeling of 'oh, what the hey...' Sometimes it's because of situations beyond my control...firedrills, lock downs, assemblies, etc. And sometimes, it's because of a sudden situation which you didn't and couldn't predict. Like today. Not even 20 minutes into the morning, my plans were at risk. Bruises...marks...an 'absent' brother... visual assults that couldn't be ignored. Luckily, my plans were carried out and accomplished for the four hours that I was behind closed doors...plans carried out by a wonderful support staff. But my plans for the day were gone... a day of easy learning, of enjoying each other, of shared smiles and exchanges. But it's ok. Because, no one will have marks like those and it not be reported...not on my watch, they won't.

No comments: