Saturday, July 28, 2007

Food for Thought

It's one of those nights when I'm home alone. M is at work and I find myself dining solo. I find that I tend to treat myself very well sometimes when this situation comes around.

Today I spent the majority doing nothing. A purely decadent thing to do. I did do laundry, bills, pick up the house, etc. I went for my walk with dear Ross, and we came home a sweaty mess from the humidity. Storms were dancing all around to the north and east. Gray skies taunting the dry desert.

I made a trip to the grocery store and selected a top sirloin steak for moi for my dinner. Now lately, I've been craving beef. Have to have beef. Want my beef!! (if you're a vegetarian, you'll want to check out your horoscope now, probably) Olive oil, dried rosemary, salt and cracked pepper slathered both sides of my steak - while I went to work on my salad. Now, I've become quite fond of this salad... Caprece Salad. It's made of sliced tomotoes, fresh mozarella (ok, can I just say how much I LOVE Costco for carrying 'logs' of this fabulous cheese??!) and fresh basil leaves. Drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with coarse salt and pepper, it happily sat in its glory while I grilled up my steak to perfection.

Alice White from Australia made a visit (no, not a friend, but a wonderful white wine) for dinner, as well. It all made for a wonderful meal!

What meal do you prepare for yourself when you celebrate you?

3 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Your meal looks and sounds delicious! When I have a rare meal to myself, I tend to go for comfort food: the tried and true French toast, sometimes covered in powdered sugar, sometimes slathered in syrup with a large glass of ice cold milk. Yum!

Chickenbells said...

mmmm...I just bought a bottle of wine today, and I'm about ready to open it...but I don't know if I can trust myself to not drink the entire bottle...not good. I usually go for junk food when I cook for myself for a treat...wait, I'm always cookin' just for myself...rats.

Simplicity Wins said...

How great of yout o treat yourself to such a wonderful dinner. It sounds great. I love steak with that caprese salad, they go perfectly together. Great to see you yesterday, even if just for a moment.