Sunday, July 29, 2007

On The Rise


Are you ready for it?
Oh, it's been a month since last time, you know.
Where are your binoculars? Your camera? Your honey??

Tonight, there will be a full moon rising. This one is the Full Buck Moon. The reason it's named that is because July is the month when the new antlers of buck deer push through their upper foreheads. These new antlers are covered in a soft, velvety fur. July's full moon is often called the Full Thunder Moon, for the simple reason that thunderstorms are most frequent during this time. Case in point, our monsoon season. Another name sometimes associated with this moon is the Full Hay Moon.
So find your binoculars, your camera, your honey (no, I don't mean the kind that I drizzle in my coffee..!) and go watch one of Nature's movies! It's free!

1 comment:

Chickenbells said...

OH fun! Unfortunately...it is quite cloudy up here...major rain storms today (not that I'm complaining mind you) and my honey is stuck in a cornfield somewhere 90 miles away from an opportunity. I guess I will just have to sit here and stare at that picture on your post...sigh