Sunday, June 14, 2009

Channeling Johnny Depp

Have you ever had a hankerin' for pancakes? You know the kind...' momma-made' pancakes? With slides of soft butter and puddles of syrup? You have? Me too! This morning was one of those hankerin' mornings...and since I be da momma, I got crackin' in the kitchen! I was defrosting a bunch of bananas to make banana bread at some point today, but I got to thinking...hmmm... banana pancakes.... hmm.... sour cream.... hmmm.... let's see where this goes.....
Truly, I dumped stuff in a bowl, mixed it up till I was satisfied with its consistency and content, then made the pancakes... I am not a perfect measurer when it comes to things like this... too much experience under my apron tie to be constrained by numbers. But I have done my best to 'standarized' the recipe for anyone wishing to try it. And do. You won't be disappointed!
Banana Cloud Pancakes
2 cups Bisquick mix
1/3 cup half-n-half
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream
1 egg
2 mashed ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
dash of sea salt
Combine mix, half-n-half, milk, sour cream and egg. Mix with fork until fairly smooth. If mixture is too stiff, add a little more milk, teaspoon at a time, to achieve desired consistency for pouring. Mixture should still be somewhat thick. Stir in mashed bananas, nutmeg and salt. Heat your cast iron skillet (you DO have a cast iron skillet, don't you??) with a little vegetable oil on medium heat. Pour batter in and cook about 4 minutes on first side, 2 or 3 on the other until golden brown on both sides. **These pancakes will PUFF UP and rise high! Don't walk away and do a load of laundry while making these - you need to keep an eye on them so that they don't burn!
Yell upstairs and tell daughter that you've made banana pancakes and prepare a little plate for her after she yells back down that she's picked up an extra shift at work and has to leave in 10 minutes. Smile with happiness as she hugs and kisses you after wolfing down said pancakes on her way out the door.
The sour cream and mashed bananas give these such a rich moisture content and allows the batter to rise higher than usual pancake batter. The pieces of banana are yummy to bite into, too! Enjoy!
By the way.... is it just me or does my pancake up there sort of look like a pirate skull with a toothy smile and a melting eye-patch?? Maybe I need a 'Jack Sparrow' fix today.

4 comments:

Joni said...

I had a craving for buttermilk blueberry pancakes last weekend and it's important to satisfy those cravings, right? So off I went pouring and mixing...they were delicious. I even froze the extras so I can pop 'em in the toaster...yum! I will have to let daughter know it's OK to put THESE in the toaster....the last time I froze chocolate chip pancakes it was not a good thing. Will have to give your recipe a try...pancakes are just delicious anytime and especially so when they remind you of Johnny Depp...I think he's a cutie.

The Toenjes Family said...

That was the first thing I saw...a pirate skull!

kimberly said...

i see the toothy pirate too.....and oh i love.love.love pancakes....my husband is the man when it comes to breakfast....so...i'll give him this recipe for father's day! :-)
j/k....maybe i'll MAKE them for father's day!....
xoxo
kimberly

Grumperini said...

Mmmmm. Banana pancakes are my favorite!